Back

Xdebug Setup for Local Development.

• Tools
Buddha's Left Testicle
15 Oct, 2024, 17:22

I've spent the better part of the last 2 weeks trying to get Xdebug setup and working with Appwrite locally.

I realized the launch.json specified in the CONTRIBUTING.md(https://github.com/appwrite/appwrite/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md#vs-code-launch-configuration) wasn't quiet right. At least for me. This is the configuration that was specified.

TypeScript
{  
  "name": "Listen for Xdebug",
  "type": "php",
  "request": "launch",
  "port": 9005,
  "pathMappings": {
    "/usr/src/code": "${workspaceRoot}"
  }
}

It appears "${workspaceRoot}" has been deprecated in favour of "${workspaceFolder}" in VSCode.

I'd like to know if there is a reason "${workspaceRoot}" is still maintained in the guide, and if "${workspaceFolder}" is indeed the right one, can I create an issue on it and possible even create a PR to have it updated??

TL;DR
Developers having trouble setting up Xdebug can update the launch configuration in VSCode from `${workspaceRoot}` to `${workspaceFolder}` for it to work correctly. The guide mentions `${workspaceRoot}` which is deprecated in favor of `${workspaceFolder}`. Developers can create an issue and even submit a PR to have the update reflected in the guide.

Reply to this thread by joining our Discord

Reply on Discord

Need support?

Join our Discord

Get community support by joining our Discord server.

Join Discord

Get premium support

Join Appwrite Pro and get email support from our team.

Learn more