Back

Many to many relationships restrictions applied incorrectly?

• Databases
  • Cloud
gongarce
7 Sep, 2024, 15:49

Hi! I'm creating and testing a simple data model and I'm a bit confused about how one way relationship restrictions work with many to many relationship. I will provide an example.

I have a collection for "Users" and another collection for "Skills", every user should be able to have multiple skills. Eventually I will query users by skills but I don't want to keep track of the users in the skill collection, so I see a one way relationship.

If I make this relationship "Many to one": "members can contain one skill, skills can belong to many members" -> Then restrictions work as expected:

• Restrict: You cannot delete a skill referenced by a user, but you can delete a user that has a skill.

But if I make the relationship "Many to many" (as I want): "members can contain many skills, skills can belong to many members" -> Then restrictions work in a strange way IMHO.

• Restrict: I cannot delete users that have skills referenced but I can delete skills that are related to users.

Is this the intended behavior? I expected different behavior, more close to the "many to one" restriction, as this is a one way relation, what I expected was:

• Restrict: I shouldn't be able to delete skills that are referenced in users but I should be able to delete any user with skills without any problems.

I have IT background and I guess many to many relationships are using a hidden table to keep track of the references, and something weird must be happening with the restrictions in the pivot table.

TL;DR
Developers confused about many-to-many relationship restrictions in data model with users and skills. One-way relationship restrictions work differently between "Many to one" and "Many to many". "Many to many" relationship behaves unexpectedly, allowing deletion of skills related to users. Expected behavior is closer to "Many to one" restriction. Yes, many-to-many relationships use a pivot table for references, causing strange behavior with restrictions.

Reply to this thread by joining our Discord

Reply on Discord

Need support?

Join our Discord

Get community support by joining our Discord server.

Join Discord

Get premium support

Join Appwrite Pro and get email support from our team.

Learn more