Back

Cannot get `Realtime` to work, after moving to a self hosted VPS

• Self Hosted
  • Android
  • Realtime
  • Databases
Silverbaq
6 Jul, 2024, 08:08

I've made a small Android chat application, to tryout the difference features of Appwrite. Started by setting up a self hosted solution on a server I have running on my local network. Everything seems to work fine. I can use the Auth, communicate with the database and use the realtime feature on the entries applied to the database for a live update of the "chats" coming in.

After this, I desided that I would like to continue working with Appwrite and wanted to host it on a VPS. So I ran the same process of setting up the self-hosted solution on my VPS, setup the ports and endpoint address in Nginx Proxy Manager and changed the project details for the new instance of Appwrite in my mobile application.

Now, I can still use the Auth part, and communicate with the database (reading, writing, etc.). But, the Realtime part does not seem to work in the application anymore? I have checked in the Nginx Proxy Manager settings, that websocket support is enabled. It dosen't matter if I use the IP-address or the domain name that I have given. I simply just do not get anything from the realtime subscribtion. If I try to switch back to the instance running on my LAN server, it works fine again. Is there something I am missing here? I'm not getting any errors in the log either, so I feel a bit clueless at this point. Hope someone can help me out with what to try next.

TL;DR
Developers migrating `Appwrite` to a VPS lose Realtime chat functionality. Auth and database operations work, but Realtime subscriptions fail. Nginx Proxy Manager has WebSocket support. No error logs present. Solution: Ensure Nginx Proxy Manager properly configured for Realtime support.

Reply to this thread by joining our Discord

Reply on Discord

Need support?

Join our Discord

Get community support by joining our Discord server.

Join Discord

Get premium support

Join Appwrite Pro and get email support from our team.

Learn more