Back

Talking about API Security and Authorized users

• Self Hosted
  • Tools
Ahmed Hammad
17 Jun, 2024, 18:40

-I have a public Question about APIs security I have been using appwrite for 3 years now , And the best part of appwrite is the permissions handling and how it goes more secure every update , and how appwrite handles server site security very well ,

• I have a flutter app ( Android , IOS, no web ) for years I have been working hard to improve the client side security but I am always suffering from a part I didn't know how to handle it , when the hacking coming from authorized user , I have a lot of client side securities , like anti-reverse engineering , SSL pinning and more .. but when user break all of them with the advancement of hacking tools and get the session cookie and this cookie is already have an authorized access to the data ,
  • He mimic the API request outside the app ( Postman or any other tool ) and download the data , I am logging all requests using reverse proxy "nginx" so that I can see the outside app request , validating request to make sure it's coming from app not effective he will mimic the exact app request so nothing new it's just effective to users who aren't authorized to data which is basically already secured by permissions .

So The Question is : is there a way to prevent the authorized users from hacking the data outside the apps by doing the API Request using their tokens or sessions cookies , or I will always get hacked like that and I need to find a better ways to prevent client side hacking ( which I see it's impossible nowadays with advancement of hacking tools ) ?

TL;DR
- Developer has been using appwrite for 3 years and praises its strong security features for permissions handling and server-side security. - Facing issue of authorized users hacking data outside of the app by mimicking API requests with obtained session cookies. - Currently using client-side security measures like anti-reverse engineering and SSL pinning. - Wondering if there's a way to prevent authorized users from accessing data through unauthorized API requests. - Solution: Consider implementing additional server-side authentication checks for API requests to prevent unauthorized data access.

Reply to this thread by joining our Discord

Reply on Discord

Need support?

Join our Discord

Get community support by joining our Discord server.

Join Discord

Get premium support

Join Appwrite Pro and get email support from our team.

Learn more