Back

Is it possible to encrypt and decrypt video files in Appwrite storage, which are bigger than 20mb?

• Flutter
  • Web
  • Cloud
Shivanshu Gupta
21 Feb, 2024, 17:31

I want to make sure that everything that is stored on Appwrite should be encrypted. I'm using flutter to create a web app. I have also tried doing this:

1. created 2 buckets (pendingVideos, EncryptedVideos)
  2. User first uploads a video to pendingVideos
  3. An Appwrite function is called which encrypts this video (in pendingVideos) and stores the encrypted video in EncryptedVideos.
  4. After encryption, I delete the video from the pendingBucket.

But, I'm facing a big issue that the file is encrypted as a whole in one go, same goes for decryption. So, if a user wants to see the video, then how can I stream this encrypted video? I don't want the user download the whole video, or temporarily store a decrypted video in another bucket just for streaming, I want it to decrypt on the go.

How can I do it? Or is there any better approach to do the same?

TL;DR
Developers want to encrypt and decrypt video files in Appwrite storage but are facing issues with streaming encrypted videos. They want to avoid downloading the whole video or storing temporarily decrypted videos for streaming. One suggested solution is to research encryption algorithms for streaming video files. Additionally, the developer has attempted creating separate buckets for pending and encrypted videos but encountered issues with encrypting and decrypting the files seamlessly for streaming.
Steven
21 Feb, 2024, 17:50

Not sure exactly...maybe you can search online for some encryption algorithm that will work for streaming video files

Reply to this thread by joining our Discord

Reply on Discord

Need support?

Join our Discord

Get community support by joining our Discord server.

Join Discord

Get premium support

Join Appwrite Pro and get email support from our team.

Learn more