Back

best functions runtime for performance and stability

• General
  • Functions
  • Self Hosted
punti_z
4 Oct, 2024, 21:19

I have a ton of functions performing tasks, big and small, like user signup document writes, cron db cleanup jobs, essentially all writes on the database are mostly via functions with users not writing directly to DB via SDK.

I currently am using dart runtime for functions but I have seen issues like function failures and timeouts. With recent addition of Go got me thinking how much of a performance different would it make ? Would it make sense to migrate certain intense functions from dart to Go ?

Has anyone done any performance testing who can share results ?

TL;DR
Developers are discussing the best runtime for functions in terms of performance and stability. Dart is considered one of the most performant runtimes. It's suggested to scale containers and set variables for better performance when self-hosting. One developer is considering migrating intense functions from Dart to Go for potential performance improvements. They are interested in hearing from developers who have done performance testing in this area.
D5
4 Oct, 2024, 21:43

Are you using appwrite cloud?

D5
4 Oct, 2024, 21:44

I think currently Dart is one of the most performant runtimes. If you are self hosting, you should scale the containers and set the variables in order to run them concurrently and achieve better performance.

D5
4 Oct, 2024, 21:50

For example: _APP_WORKERS_NUM

Reply to this thread by joining our Discord

Reply on Discord

Need support?

Join our Discord

Get community support by joining our Discord server.

Join Discord

Get premium support

Join Appwrite Pro and get email support from our team.

Learn more