Back

Using Appwrite for simple web app on a static html css page

• Web
Arumm
26 Apr, 2024, 09:25

Hello! My customer has a static html css Publii site and would like to be able to add a basic notification text box to the site with an expiration date. Management must be as simple as entering a login and password, receiving a graphical user interface with a topic, text, expiration date, and SAVE, and then logging out. Is this achievable with Appwrite? If yes, could you pls point me to relevant documentation. Also, how many workdays would you expect from novice Appwrite user to create something like this?

TL;DR
Developers are discussing using Appwrite vs. Supabase for a simple web app on a static HTML/CSS page. Appwrite offers easier use, permissions setup, more powerful SDK, and ease of self-hosting with migration features. Supabase has advantages like vector database and edge functions. Customer wants a basic notification text box with an expiration date on their site, achievable with Appwrite using JS+HTML+CSS. Creation time for a novice user varies.
Arumm
26 Apr, 2024, 09:48

Also, is there any real difference to use Supabase over Appwrite? Both are Foss and seems to do the same thing.

D5
26 Apr, 2024, 09:55

I think yes, but obviously you need to build the fronted with Js+html+css

D5
26 Apr, 2024, 10:00

Appwrite is probably easier to use, permissions are probably easier to setup, it has more SDK, allows writing functions in more languages and they're probably more powerful and also Appwrite is cheaper and easier to self-host, plus you can migrate very easily from self-hosted to cloud or backwards thanks to the built-in migrations feature. But of course Supabase has advantages: vector database, direct access to the DB, and functions are edge functions.

The choice obviously depends on your needs

Reply to this thread by joining our Discord

Reply on Discord

Need support?

Join our Discord

Get community support by joining our Discord server.

Join Discord

Get premium support

Join Appwrite Pro and get email support from our team.

Learn more