Hacktoberfest is finally back for its 8th year, and we at Appwrite are thrilled to share that we’ll be joining in and supporting open-source developers for the 3rd time in a row!
Our journey with Hacktoberfest
Hacktoberfest is an initiative that very deeply matters to us. We launched the first iteration of Appwrite as a mere open-source project back in September 2019. Hacktoberfest 2019 was truly a game-changer for us, as we saw over 200 contributions from some lovely members of the open-source fraternity that October. The stars on our project doubled that month while entering the 4-digit range for the very first time. That one month truly enabled us to lay the foundations of a budding organization with the sole purpose of helping developers build faster and better. And for that, no thank-yous will ever be enough, to express our gratitude for this amazing open-source community that chose to carry us on their shoulders at our inception. We want to give back to you all for your endless love and support, and with that goal, we are partnering with DigitalOcean to sponsor Hacktoberfest 2021. We aim to uplift this ever-growing community and enable more newcomers to immerse themselves in the open-source ecosystem, become better developers, and support their peers in the times to come.
How we will be supporting developers this year
Through our participation in Hacktoberfest 2021, we’d like to get a lot more developers excited about open source and make their first contributions. To help with these efforts, we’ve teamed up with some of your favorite open source projects to share what they have in store for Hacktoberfest! These sessions will give you an overview of the projects, their contribution guidelines and will help you prepare ahead for October - don’t miss them if you need a head start.
We’ll also be hosting numerous technical sessions focused on Web Dev, Flutter, and DevOps in collaboration with experts from the tech community to help you get your footing in these amazing domains. The open-source ecosystem is built on the foundations of collaboration and interdependence and we want to enable you to get the best start in the open-source ecosystem in the way that you like the most.
Contributing to Appwrite this Hacktoberfest
There are a variety of ways by which you can start contributing to the Appwrite ecosystem. Those include, but are not limited to:
- Tackling open issues
- We have a curated list of Hacktoberfest issues (most being beginner-friendly!) that you can choose to work on.
- Building demo apps
- You can build simple demo apps with any of your favourite technologies using an Appwrite Backend.
- A demo app counts as 2 contributions (or more based on complexity)
- Writing blog posts
- If you’ve been working with Appwrite and built something interesting, share about it with our community through an awesome blog post.
- A blog post counts as 2 contributions (or more based on complexity)
- Making tutorials
- Be it through written content or video recordings, create learning tutorials to help new community members get started with Appwrite.
- A tutorial counts as 2 contributions (or more based on complexity)
In case you’d like to contribute in another way, feel free to let us know in our Discord and we’d be happy to assist you in this process.
Special Prizes for Hacktoberfest contributors
Your awesome contributions call for some awesome swag! As our way of celebrating your contributions during Hacktoberfest, we have some limited edition swag up for grabs! :
- 1 Contribution
- The OG Appwrite sticker pack
- 2 Contributions
- Limited Edition Hacktoberfest sticker pack
- 3 Contributions
- Limited Edition Appwrite Hacktoberfest Mug
- 4 Contributions and more
- Limited Edition Appwrite Hacktoberfest T-shirt
Each prize tier will contain swags from the previous ones as well. Contributions can be of any of the forms as stated above, and we honestly cannot wait to see what y'all create!
Thank you so much once again for joining us to celebrate Hacktoberfest this year. We can’t wait to see the amazing contributions you all make in this upcoming month. Keep learning, building, and sharing, stay safe, and happy Appwriting!